To avoid vehicles parking across entrances to driveways and garages you can apply to have a white line painted on the road called 'H-Bar carriageway markings'.
Apply for H-bar carriageway markings
To apply for a H-Bar carriageway marking complete and return a new road markings application form. Please note:
- markings are not permitted if yellow lines are already present
- markings are painted on the carriageway across the dropped kerb and for 1m either side
- markings will not be provided on the opposite side of the carriageway outside another resident's property
- markings are only provided if a dropped kerb exists for the purpose of vehicle access to private property
- if the dropped kerb extends across two driveway entrances, written consent is required from neighbours
- the applicant is responsible for the full cost of the application
Refreshing existing road markings
If your existing H-Bar marking is faded or worn you can apply to have it repainted. Complete and return a refresh markings application form.
Costs for H-bar carriageway markings
There is a charge to have this marking on the road outside your house:
- new markings: £122
- refreshed markings: £77
You will receive an invoice if your application has been successful.
Marking your entrance
Please note that it can take several weeks for the H-bar to appear on the road. Timescales are available on application.
Parking enforcement powers enable us to issue a 'penalty charge notice', if a vehicle is parked across the entrance to your driveway, even if there are no yellow lines or a white bar marking in place.