H-Bar carriageway markings

To discourage vehicles from parking across entrances to driveways and garages, you can apply to have a white line painted on the road called an 'H-Bar carriageway marking'.

This marking highlights the presence of a dropped kerb entrance and informs the driver access is required.

Parking enforcement powers enable us to issue a penalty charge notice if a vehicle is parked across the entrance to your driveway, even if there are no yellow lines or a white bar marking in place. 

New H-Bar markings

To apply for an H-Bar carriageway marking, please complete and return a New H-Bar application form.

Please note:

  • markings are not permitted if yellow lines are already present
  • markings are painted on the carriageway across the dropped kerb and for approximately 1 metre either side - this helps to prevent vehicles parking too close to your access point
  • markings will not be provided on the opposite side of the carriageway outside another resident's property
  • markings are only provided if a dropped kerb exists for the purpose of vehicle access to a private property
  • if the dropped kerb extends across 2 driveway entrances, written consent will be required from neighbours
  • the applicant is responsible for the full cost of the application

Refresh existing H-Bar markings

If your existing H-Bar marking is faded or worn, you can apply to have it repainted. Please complete and return a Refresh existing H-Bar application form.

Costs for H-Bar markings

There is a charge to have an H-Bar marking painted on the road outside your house:

  • new markings: £122
  • refreshed markings: £77

You will receive an invoice for the work if your application is successful.

Please note that it can take several weeks for the H-Bar to be painted on the road. Timescales are available on application.

  • we will contact you within 10 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
  • if you have not heard from us within 10 working days please contact us to check the status of your application

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page