Moving to York

If you are thinking of moving to York, there are a range of housing options to consider:

Buying a property

If you are thinking of buying a property in York, you can find estate agents in the area on the National Association of Estate Agents website.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) website has information on mortgages and you can find out about average property prices on the Land Registry website.

You can also find out about planning and building control in York.

Buying or renting affordable housing

Affordable housing covers a range of different options for people who can't afford to get on the property ladder. Find out more about current affordable housing developments in York.

Private renting

If you are considering renting from a private landlord, the government has published a checklist for renting which sets out your rights and responsibilities. 

Council homes

Find out how to apply for a council home in York.

If you want to swap your council home with a York council home tenant, you should register with HomeSwapper.

Following your move

Council services that may be of interest:

Council tax

You must let us know if you move house. We will recalculate your bill and send you a revised account within 10 working days.

If you are moving into a newly built property we will be unable to send you a bill until the Valuation Officer decides which band your property falls into. However, to help you plan your household expenses, we will provide you with a provisional bill in the meantime.

Find out more about council tax and let us know that you are moving to York.

Registering with NHS services

You can find your nearest services, including doctors and dentists, on the NHS website.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page