We've committed to develop 600 new homes across York in 8 council-owned locations. Goals agreed in July 2018 by the council’s Executive mean our Housing Delivery Programme will build:
- high-quality homes designed in collaboration with the local community
- accommodation suitable for a wide range of households, meeting a full range of affordable housing
- shared open spaces, sociable neighbourhoods and community cohesion
- homes with higher than required environmental attributes (resulting in lower running costs)
- healthy places where people want to live
Our ambition is to create a wide-reaching legacy for the city which builds on York’s rich history as a housing pioneer, developing treasured homes in green and healthy neighbourhoods.
New council-built communities
Our Housing Delivery Programme will deliver mixed communities where:
- 60% of the homes will be for sale on the housing market (providing funds towards development costs of affordable housing)
- 40% of the homes will be affordable homes, including shared ownership and rented council housing
We're also excited to offer individuals and community groups opportunities to self-build as part of the programme.
Housing development locations
Our Housing Delivery Programme will build new homes across York on 8 council-owned sites.
- Lowfield Green
- Duncombe Barracks
- Askham Bar
- Former Manor School
- Hospital Fields Road and Ordnance Lane
- Clifton Without Primary school
- Woolnough House
Download a map of housing development locations.
Over time we'll provide more information about each housing development location, including progress of our consultations, events and the resulting designs.
We'll announce details of how to buy the homes and self build plots in early 2020.
Housing delivery programme progress
Since the vision was outlined in July 2018, our Housing Delivery Programme has made good progress, including:
- gaining planning permission to build 165 new homes at Lowfield Green with over an acre of open public space, a health and public service building, and a care home
- securing £1,466,800 of Homes England funding for Lowfield Green under the Local Authority Accelerated Construction Fund for New Homes
- starting 'enabling works' at Lowfield Green
- establishing a house building contractor
- developing a 'Design Manual' to ensure we meet our city’s housing needs, by building better places and beautiful homes
- construction work to create 8 football pitches near Askham Bar Park & Ride, replacing 3 temporary pitches and supporting the growth of local children’s football club
- procuring external support from a multidisciplinary design team, led by Mikhail Riches Architects
- buying Duncombe Barracks from the Ministry of Defence for £1.942m (part funded from Right to Buy receipts)
Housing development design manual
The Design Manual we've developed (available to view late September 2019) provides a strong and ambitious framework to support the progressive and collaborative Housing Delivery Programme.
Its innovative design principles will significantly raise the standards of homes in York, by raising resident's expectations and inspiring others developers to deliver better, it covers:
- delivering the housing our residents need
- building healthy homes and neighbourhoods
- creating distinctive and beautiful places which bring communities together
- reducing our impact on the environment and residents’ energy bills
- supporting sustainable transport choice and connectivity
Before any design work is undertaken we'll analyse each site in detail and develop contacts with residents and other stakeholders.
We believe the best developments come from:
- fully understanding the locality
- fully understanding the needs and concerns of local residents, businesses and other stakeholders
Launching the Housing Delivery Programme
Everyone with an interest in our Housing Delivery Programme is invited to get involved and take an active part in the development process from the outset. Your views will have an of impact on the design, look and feel of the new streets, homes and open spaces.
Join the conversation on:
- 1 October 2019 from 4.30pm to 5.30pm at West Offices, for the launch of the Housing Delivery Programme and the Design Manual
- 2 October 2019 from 5.00pm to 7.45pm at the Centre@Burnholme to meet the design team about Burnholme
- 3 October 2019 from 5.00pm to 7.45pm at St Luke’s Church, Clifton to meet the design team about Duncombe Barraks
We'll use your views and priorities gathered at these events to begin preparing planning applications for the development of the Burnholme and Duncombe Barracks sites.
Further public events, integral to this process, will take place in November 2019 and early 2020.