Our positive ageing housing choices guide is designed to take you through the range of services available that can advise, assist and support you to remain in your own home, as well as discussing the other types of accommodation options.
We are currently working in partnership with FirstStop, a national agency offering free independent information and advice for older people, their families and carers.
This partnership aims to help older people make informed decisions about their housing options, such as:
- staying in and adapting your home
- moving to a more suitable property
- moving to a new home where help or care is at hand
- moving to a care home
Contact our Older People Housing Advisor for free, impartial housing advice and information for home owners, private and social housing tenants.
First Call York
If you are over 50 and live in York, you can contact the Age UK First Call information service for advice on services you need in order to stay safe, healthy and independent in your own home.
Money and benefits advice
- Our benefits advisors can help with completing forms and arranging home visits
- Find out what types of benefits are available
Housing and accommodation
Repairs and maintenance around the home
- Advice and assistance with private home repairs
Healthcare and social services
- Advice on sight and hearing problems
- Adult social services
- Support for carers
- Support for long term health conditions and disabilities
- YorWellbeing falls prevention scheme
- Walking for health
- Sport and physical activity opportunities for people aged 50 and over