On very rare occasions it is necessary to rename or renumber a street. This is only done as a last resort when:
- there is confusion over a street name
- a group of residents are unhappy with their street name
- new properties are built in a street and renumbering is needed to accommodate them.
This will only be done when there is no alternative. Existing residents will be contacted and their views will be taken into account.
We will also contact the local town or parish council for their views and local knowledge. We will then consult the Royal Mail for their position on the issue.
We will then ask local residents to vote on the proposed change. We require at least a two thirds majority to make the change.
If your street is renamed or renumbered
You will need to inform:
- your utility providers (gas, water, electricity)
- your telephone company
- your bank and building society
- your credit card company
- your insurers
- TV Licensing
- The DVLA
Costs of seeking the advice from a solicitor regarding changes to the property deeds would also need to be taken into account.
Use our eForms to report problems with existing street naming signs.