All job applications for jobs with City of York Council should now be made via our jobs site. For full details of how to complete the online application form, and further guidance to help you answer the questions within it, download our illustrated guide. Alternatively, keep this window open so you can refer to it while you complete your online form, where you can jump to each section of our guidelines:
- Our priorities
- Our equality statement
- Before completing you application
- Your online job application account with us
- Using our online application system (download our illustrated guide)
- Applying for an apprenticeship
- Applying for 'internal vacancies'
- Disclosure and Barring checks
- Submitting your application
- Getting updates and providing feedback
- Recruitment privacy notice
1. Our priorities
Top 3 priorities
A prosperous city for all
A focus on frontline services
A council that listens to its residents
2. Our equality statement
Within our Equalities policy, all applicants get the same information about a job vacancy.
If a contact name is given, all applicants are invited to telephone for an informal discussion about the job prior to applying for it. This may help you decide if you meet all the criteria and whether you want to proceed with your application.
- value diversity
- challenge all forms of unfairness
- aim to promote self-confident and harmonious communities
- place fairness and inclusion at the heart of our strategies and services
To achieve this we will develop targets that will help us to:
- reduce social, economic and educational disadvantage
- move towards a more representative workforce and councillor body
- listen to our customers and communities and not make assumptions on their part
- use our procurement, commissioning and grant-giving practices to promote fairness and diversity
3. Before completing your application
Read the job description and other related documents carefully, to ensure the job and conditions are suitable for you and your level of experience.
It's important to complete every section of your application as fully and accurately as possible. Our decision on who to interview will be based on the information you give in your application form. C.V's and supporting documents cannot be attached to your application.
All applications (from both internal and external candidates) are considered against the essential knowledge and skills given in the job description.
Documents and information
When completing your application,, you'll need to provide a variety of information. It's a good idea to gather this before you start, so you're not interrupted during the application process.
The information required for an application includes:
- UK National Insurance number: If you do not have a UK National Insurance Number, this field should be left blank.
- Employment history: You will need to give details of the places and dates of previous employment including job title and duties.
- Education and qualifications: You will need to enter the dates, grades and types of qualification which you hold, as well as the details of the centres of learning where you obtained these.
- Referees: You must provide the details including name, address and telephone number or email address of two people who can provide a reference. One of the referees must be your present or (if you are unemployed) your most recent employer.
For information on how City of York Council will use and store the details and information you provide on your application form or as part of registering with the recruitment website, please see our Privacy Statement.
4. Your online job application account with us
Our system works best with the most up-to-date internet browsers, including:
- Internet Explorer (version 8 and above)
- Firefox (version 26 and above)
- Chrome (version 32 and above)
- Safari (versions 6 or 7)
If you experience difficulty in using the system, please upgrade your browser in the first instance.
Click 'apply online' to start using our online recruiting system.
If you need clarification on any part of the online application process, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 01904 551619 during office hours, Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm.
The way you log in depends on whether you are:
- a new user
- an existing user
- a CYC employee
New users need to create a user name and password via 'New user registration'.
- Your user name must be at least six characters long.
- Your password must contain at least eight characters. We recommend you use a combination of alpha, numerical and upper and lower case characters.
Once you've registered, a confirmation email containing your details will be forwarded to the email address you supplied. Please keep this safe.
You'll use these details to access your recruitment account, as an existing user.
Existing users (of the new website)
Existing users of the new website should log in with the details used when registering or applying previously.
If you were registered with the old website, your details will no longer work for the new website and you will need to re-register and create an account with a new username and password. See 'New users' above.
If you're a CYC employee who already has access to 'iTrent self service', use your iTrent username and password to log in to the recruitment system. Do not register separately or create a new account.
If you don’t do this, you will be processed as an 'external candidate' and information will be duplicated.
Any changes made to personal details, qualifications and equal opportunities monitoring information made by CYC employees during an online job application will automatically update the personal record we hold for you.
You should not under any circumstances allow anyone else to use your login details to apply for jobs, as this may cause your own details on our iTrent HR (payroll) system to be compromised.
Forgotten user name or password
If you've forgotten your user name or password, don't keep trying as there's a limit of 5 attempts before you will be locked out. Instead, use the ‘Forgotten your password?’ link and follow the instructions on screen.
You'll be sent an email to reset your password. The email link takes you to the 'password reset form', where you'll also see your user name. You don’t need to change your password if it is just your user name that you have forgotten. Follow the instructions on screen to change your password (if required).
Existing users and CYC employees only have five attempts to log in before their account is 'deactivated'.
If your account is deactivated, the ‘Forgotten your password?’ process will not reactivate it. Instead, email: iTrent@york.gov.uk to request reactivation during office hours, Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm.
5. Using our online application system
Your application summary
Once you've logged in and selected a job to apply for, you'll see the 'application summary' screen.
- The application is divided into 'application pages'
- Complete or edit the application pages in any order
- Each page will be marked '!' until you complete the 'mandatory' details
- Mandatory fields are identified by a red asterisk
- You should also complete any relevant, non-mandatory details
- You'll be able to ‘Submit’ your application once all the pages are marked complete (with a green tick)
- Submit your application by midnight on the closing date
- Hover your mouse over a '?' icon to get additional information about a question
Reusing your information
After your first application has been submitted, we'll save your personal details, employment history and qualifications details so you don't have to re-enter them next time you want to apply for a job.
However, some other information is not retained (such as your supporting information statement, your professional membership and training information), so you should save those details outside of the recruitment system for your own future reference.
If you're logged in as a CYC employee, please be aware that any changes to your personal details, qualifications or equal opportunities information will automatically update your staff record in HR within the core iTrent system.
Navigating within the system
Use the 'previous', 'summary' and 'next' buttons at the bottom of each page to navigate through your application. If you use the 'back' button on your browser, you may lose any information already entered.
The application form will time-out if you have not saved any data for a 60 minute period. We strongly advise that you save your application regularly by clicking on the 'Save & Continue' button.
Complete every page and section of your application as fully as you can; answer every relevant question, selecting options from dropdown menus or typing as much detail as possible in your responses.
Download the guide
If you need more help than given in these guidelines, you can download an illustrated guide which contains more helpful hints and tips for finding your way around each screen and explains more about various questions included in the application pages.
Application pages consist of:
- Confirmation statement
- Personal information
- Employment details
- Education, qualifications and training
- Supporting information
- Equal opportunities monitoring
- Additional details
See more about submitting your application.
6. Applying for an apprenticeship
In addition to the standard application questions, applicants applying for apprenticeship posts are asked 2 supplementary questions under 'Supporting information'.
Pay close attention to these questions and use the guidance within these sections to help shape your answers. Remember to provide evidence to your answers, beyond simple statements, and note the word limits for each answer. If you choose to type directly into these supplementary boxes and then 'save' whilst over the word count, any surplus text will be irretrievably deleted. Consider drafting and saving your answers elsewhere first.
Remember to frequently 'save' as the form will 'time out' 60 minutes after it was last saved or logged in. Any unsaved work will be lost.
Get more information on apprenticeships, how they work, how they could develop you and who often enjoys them, or visit www.yor-zone.org.uk/YorZone/futures4me
7. Applying for 'internal vacancies'
Some jobs are only open to City of York Council employees. These will be indicated by 'Internal Vacancy' on the job advert. When you click to 'apply online' these vacancies will ask whether you're a CYC employee.
If you are not a CYC employee you should tick 'No' – you'll be unable to apply for these vacancies.
(WwY@CYT workers, Explore, Be Independent and Veritau employees are not eligible to apply for these posts).
8. Disclosure and Barring checks
If the post you are applying for involves working with children, young people or vulnerable adults, then the City of York Council will request a DBS check at the point you are offered the post.
Any information you provide will be confidential and will not necessarily exclude you from appointment.
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), previously the CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) is a government agency which undertakes criminal record checks on behalf of employers on individuals who work with (or wish to work with) vulnerable groups and children.
They can disclose information about certain spent/unspent convictions/cautions/warnings and other information held by the police, and whether the individual is barred from working with vulnerable groups or children.
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) details:
Telephone:0300 0200 190; Welsh: 0300 0200 191; Minicom: 0300 0200 192; International: +44 151 676 9390
Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm; Saturday 10.00am to 5.00pm
Policy statement on Recruitment of Ex-Offenders
Please ensure you read this policy statement before submitting your application form if you are applying for a post working with children, young people or vulnerable adults.
9. Submitting your application
All mandatory fields within 'application pages' need to be completed before you can submit your application. Once all pages are marked with a green tick, the 'submit' button will be unlocked. Mandatory fields are marked with a red asterisk.
Take time to review your application before submitting. It's a good idea to print it out and read it again - use the 'print preview' option to open your form as one continuous document.
Once you are happy with your application, click the 'Submit' button and confirm you wish to proceed. Alternatively, you can return to the Summary page if you're not ready.
We'll send you an email acknowledging your application submission. Some time after this you will then be notified via email if you have been shortlisted for interview.
10. Getting updates and providing feedback
You can access previous applications or those that are in the process of being completed, under 'My applications' when you're logged in to our online recruitment system.
Once you've registered with our online recruiting system, you can sign up to 'job alerts' to get auto-generated emails about vacancies which may be of interest.
- Step one: Choose your search criteria - select 'all jobs' if you want to be alerted to any new vacancy, or select specific types of jobs if you want to narrow your alerts. Then click 'Search'.
- Step two: To save your search criteria and set your job alert, scroll to the bottom of your search results and click to 'save this search as a job alert'.
Any job alerts you've set up will be visible in your profile. You'll be able to review existing alerts or set up new ones at any time.
We welcome your feedback on our recruitment process and online job application system. If you've any comments, suggestions, questions or queries, contact us by email: email@example.com or tel: 01904 551619 during office hours, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.00pm.
11. Recruitment Privacy Notice
City of York Council (CYC) will collect and store personal information you submit to us via this recruitment website.
By submitting your personal information, you are consenting to CYC holding and using it in accordance with this privacy notice . The privacy notice is subject to change and any changes to it in the future will be notified on this page. By continuing to use this recruitment site you are agreeing to such changes. We recommend that you check the privacy notice and policy each time you visit this site.