At the end of the summer term you will need to clear out your accommodation if you are moving out of your property - this generates more waste than usual and we can help you to manage this.
Hazel Court Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC)
You can take waste and recycling to Hazel Court HWRC for disposal, free of charge.
Please note that:
- if you're using a large vehicle (pick up, minibus, van or trailer), you must bring a current photographic Student Union card to avoid the need for a permit
- if you're using a hire van, you must bring the hire agreement and your Student Union card with you
- anyone using a large vehicle without a Student Union card must apply for a free permit
- cars do not need permits
Donate your unwanted goods to the British Heart Foundation
Our Neighbourhood Enforcement Officers (NEO), as part of the Safer York Partnership, are working with the University of York and York St John University to make it as easy as possible to dispose of your unwanted goods (clothes, pairs of shoes, books, CDs, DVDs, small electrical items) using British Heart Foundation recycling banks in the Groves, Haxby Road and Heslington Road areas:
- Jaipur Spice car park, Haxby Road
- Londis, Penleys Grove Street
- Monk Bar car park, Lord Mayors Walk
- Corner of Kent Street and Barbican Road
- Junction of Walmgate and Navigation Road
- Corner of Garrow Hill Avenue
- Corner of Fourth Avenue and Melrosegate
- Hazel Court HWRC
Reusing or recycling household items
These other organisations can also help you reuse or recycle your household items:
- York Community Furniture Store - they collect and deliver furniture and electrical items free of charge, and offer discounts to those with proof of low-income
- British Heart Foundation - they collect furniture and electrical items for free
- York Freecycle - this group is open to all residents of York who want to offer an item for free rather than throw it away
Bulky waste collections
We provide bulky waste collections of up to 10 large items, such as furniture and domestic appliances, per week.
To request a collection, contact our Customer Centre.