The Government's Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016 encourage house building across the country. As part of these regulations we must keep a self-build and custom-build 'register' of people interested in this type of housebuilding. Use the self-build register to register your interest in a plot in York.
Self Build event in York
Come along to our Self Build Event on Friday the 30 November 2018, 3.00pm - 6.00pm, in the Hudson Room, West Offices. This is a drop in event, so please come along at any point during those times and join us for a coffee, biscuit and a chat about future opportunities for building a home in the city.
We have invited a range of experts in the self-build field for you to start thinking about your potential next steps if you wish to pursue a self-build or alternatively just want a bit more information on the process.
At the event there will be:
- a timber frame company
- a small company working on low energy homes and buildings
- self-builders who have recently completed an awarding winning self build home
- a specialist self build and custom build mortgage broker
We will also have staff in attendance to provide more information on the sales process for plots at Lowfield Green, as well as wider information on self-build in the city.
Create your own home
We're planning to deliver serviced plots of land for self-builders. Plots will become available throughout the city in the future. If you are interested in designing, building or commissioning your own home, please sign up to the self-build register. This will help us identify the kind of plots you need and let us keep you up to date on future developments.
Lowfield Green Development
Planning approval has been granted on the Lowfield Green site and outline planning permission has been granted on the first 6 serviced self build plots provided through the Council.
The application has been submitted in 2 parts and you can view the full planning applications online:
- the self build element (6 plots) is included in an outline application (reference: 17/02429/OUTM)
- a second detailed application for the general housing development at the site (reference: 17/02428/FULM)
View the following documents in relation to the Lowfield Green Development:
- proposed Lowfield Development masterplan
- proposed Lowfield Development design code
- proposed Lowfield Development 3D model
Make sure you sign up to our self-build register to receive information on future sales and get in contact if you have any queries on this development.
Registering your interest in custom-build or self-build housing
To register you must be:
- over 18 years old
- a British Citizen (or citizen within the European Economic Area, or a national of Switzerland)
- an individual or group
- seeking to acquire a 'serviced plot of land' to build a house as your main residence
Self-build projects are:
- when someone directly organises the design and construction of their own home
- traditional 'DIY self builds'
- when you employ someone to build a home for you
Community-led projects can also be defined as 'self-build'.
Custom-build homes are where:
- you work with a developer as an individual (or group) to help deliver your own home
- an existing plot or new build house is tailored to match your individual requirements
The developer may help to find a plot, manage the construction and arrange the finance for your new home.
Group and Community Builds
Many self-builds are carried out by groups of like-minded people. This not only helps to spread the development costs but also means you can live alongside friends or people who share similar interests or needs as yourself.
Group and Community Builds require more land but we want to make them work where we can. If you are interested in creating a group build in the city, sign up to the self-build register and contact Planning and Environmental Management for further information.