The Government's Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016 encourage house building across the country. As part of these regulations we must create a self-build and custom-build 'register' of people interested in this type of housebuilding.
Use our online form to register your interest in a custom-build or self-build plot in York.
We will use the register to:
- understand the demand for self-build and custom-build housing in York
- help ensure enough suitable development sites are available
- inform and develop suitable planning policies.
Registering your interest in custom-build or self-build housing
To register you must be:
- over 18 years old
- a British Citizen (or citizen within the European Economic Area, or a national of Switzerland)
- an individual or group
- seeking to acquire a 'serviced plot of land' to build a house as your main residence
Self build projects are:
- someone directly organises the design and construction of their own home
- traditional 'DIY self builds'
- when you employ someone to build a home for you
Community led projects can also be defined as self-build.
Custom build homes are where:
- you work with a developer as an individual (or group) to help deliver your own home
- an existing plot or new build house is tailored to match your individual requirements
The developer may help to find a plot, manage the construction and arrange the finance for your new home.