The Government's Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016 encourage house building across the country. As part of these regulations we must keep a self-build and custom-build 'register' of people interested in this type of housebuilding. Use our online form to register your interest in a plot in York.
Create your own home
City of York Council are planning to deliver serviced plots of land for self-builders. Plots will become available throughout the city in the future. If you are interested in designing, building or commissioning your own home, please sign up to the self-build register. This will help us identify the kind of plots you need and let us keep you up to date on future developments.
Lowfield Green Development
The first 7 plots are planned for the Lowfield Green development and should go on sale in 2018. Make sure you sign up to our self-build register to receive information on future sales and get in contact if you have any queries on this development. We are holding an event to showcase the plots at the Lowfield Green development between 6pm and 8pm on 11 July 2017 at West Offices. Join us if you would like to know more.
Registering your interest in custom-build or self-build housing
To register you must be:
- over 18 years old
- a British Citizen (or citizen within the European Economic Area, or a national of Switzerland)
- an individual or group
- seeking to acquire a 'serviced plot of land' to build a house as your main residence
Self-build projects are:
- when someone directly organises the design and construction of their own home
- traditional 'DIY self builds'
- when you employ someone to build a home for you
Community-led projects can also be defined as 'self-build'.
Custom-build homes are where:
- you work with a developer as an individual (or group) to help deliver your own home
- an existing plot or new build house is tailored to match your individual requirements
The developer may help to find a plot, manage the construction and arrange the finance for your new home.
Group and Community Builds
Many self-builds are carried out by groups of like-minded people. This not only helps to spread the development costs but also means you can live alongside friends or people who share similar interests or needs as yourself.
Group and Community Builds require more land but we want to make them work where we can. If you are interested in creating a group build in the city, please sign up to the self-build register and contact us for further information.