Fly-tipping is 'the illegal dumping of waste'.
When reporting fly-tipping, the details you provide help to ensure the waste can be dealt with quickly.
You need to tell us:
- the location of the fly-tipping, including road names and landmarks
- a description of what items have been tipped, including quantities
- a description of person committing the fly-tipping offence
- details of any vehicles involved, including make, colour and registration number
Fly-tipping in rivers
We're responsible for clearing fly-tipping on the banks of York's rivers.
Where fly-tipping is in the river:
- the Environment Agency is responsibile for clearing fly-tipping in the River Ouse
- we're responsible for clearing fly-tipping in the navigable areas of the River Foss
We also work in partnership with volunteers from the River Foss Society to check the River Foss once a month between March and October, when weather conditions and water levels are safe. Where possible any reported fly-tipping and other waste is cleared on the planned date. In some months, where safety is a concern or lifting equipment is needed, another date will be arranged and details of revised time frames will be available via our Customer Centre.
We treat fly-tipping very seriously and will usually prosecute anyone caught dumping waste.
To do this we:
- may use surveillance equipment to monitor known problem areas
- can investigate fly-tipping offences to take enforcement action against those responsible
A successful prosecution can result in a fine at a magistrate's court of up to £50,000 and/or 6 months' imprisonment.
Crime Not to Care
Get information on our #CrimeNotToCare campaign and how, if your waste is illegally dumped by someone else, the law states that you could be held responsible for fly-tipping and face prosecution.
Find out more about your responsibility for your household waste.
Commercial waste disposal
Our Neighbourhood Enforcement Officers carry out visits to businesses to ensure that they are adhering to their commercial waste disposal responsibilities.
We also complete checks with the Environment Agency to confirm that all waste carriers are registered.