Before you apply for contents insurance for your council home, you'll need to work out how much it would cost to replace your belongings.
The policy covers:
- items that are less than 5 years old - at the current replacement cost
- items over 5 years old, clothing and household linen - at the current replacement cost with an allowance deducted for wear and tear
Get a more detailed breakdown of what's covered by 'simple' insurance.
Contents insurance for valuables
Valuables are items which are particularly prone to theft, such as jewellery.
This policy allows a maximum amount of cover of one third of the total sum, limited to £1,250 for any one valuable item.
Make sure you're adequately covered
The minimum values you can insure for are:
- £6,000 - for customers aged 60 and over, or residents of sheltered or supported accommodation
- £9,000 - for all other customers
How much you'll have to pay
You can pay your annual premium:
- in one lump sum - by cash, cheque, Girobank credit or postal order (payable to 'Royal and Sun Alliance')
- through Girobank at your local post office - weekly, fortnightly or monthly
Download our 'simple' contents insurance scheme application pack to help you calculate how much your insurance will cost.