Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Ending a tenancy (giving notice)

If you decide to leave your home you must:

  • give us 4 weeks notice (all tenancies are ended on a Monday)
  • pay your rent until the end of your tenancy
  • return all your keys before 10:00am on the Monday your tenancy ends (including keys to sheds and window locks)
  • repair any damage caused by you or your family before you leave
  • remove all rubbish and personal belongings from the house
  • leave the garden and any outbuildings clear and tidy

How to give notice

You can give notice in person by visiting our Customer Centre at West Offices or by contacting your Housing Management Officer.

Four weeks notice

If you don't give 4 weeks notice you will still be charged 4 weeks rent. This doesn't apply to transfers or direct exchanges or where the tenant has died.

If you return your keys early (before the end of the 4 week notice period) we will try to let the property as soon as possible. If we are able to let the property so that the new tenancy starts before the end of your 4 week notice period you may not need to pay the full 4 weeks rent.

If the tenant has died, the tenancy will end from the Monday following the keys being received. Housing Benefit will stop upon the tenant's death. If there are any arrears this money will be sought from the estate and not from relatives.

It is our responsibility to:

  • inspect your home before you leave
  • give you advice about repairs that are your responsibility
  • assess any improvements you have made to your home that may qualify for compensation
  • tell you how much rent you need to pay
  • allow you to extend your notice period
  • ask you to let us show new tenants around your home during the notice period

It is your responsibility to:

  • arrange with Royal Mail to redirect your letters to your new address
  • check your removal firm's insurance cover before allowing them to move your furniture. If you are doing your own removals check if your household contents insurance policy covers you for any damage
  • tell your telephone company or cable provider so they can disconnect your line

Also see

Housing Management Officer

Find contact details for your Housing Management Officer (HMO).

Find details of your HMO

Garages Housing Asset Officer

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551550