Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Approving your swap

You will be invited to sign a new tenancy agreement legally swapping your homes. Once the tenancy agreement is signed you must move. You will be the legal tenant of your new home and will have no rights to stay in your old home.

You will need to agree a date for moving and it is your responsibility to inform any companies that provide services to your home, for example gas, electricity, sewerage and water.

If you are claiming Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance you might qualify for help with the costs of moving - see GOV.UK for information on how to apply.

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, or wish to apply for it, you will need to complete a Housing Benefit new claim form.

Reasons why your move may be refused

  • There is a court order in existence requiring you to give up possession of your home.
  • A Notice of Seeking Possession has been served due to one or more of your tenancy conditions being broken.
  • The home you want to move to is larger or smaller than is reasonably needed by your family.
  • One of the homes was allocated because of special needs, and if the swap took place there would no longer be a person with those special needs living in the home.

Also see

Housing Management Officer

Find contact details for your Housing Management Officer (HMO).

Find details of your HMO