Births, deaths and marriages

Marriages and civil partnerships

Cermonies at York Register Office

We've taken the difficult decision to cancel ceremonies at York Register Office during lockdown.

Find out about ceremonies at York Register Office.

You can get married or enter into a civil partnership in York if you're:

  • aged 16 years, or older
  • single, divorced or widowed
  • not closely related

You need permission from your parents or guardians if you're under 18.

Civil partnerships are available for same-sex and opposite-sex couples; appointments for 'giving notice' and for ceremonies are subject to availability. Contact York Register Office to discuss bookings.

Giving notice

Regardless of where you intend to hold your ceremony, you must both give 28 days' notice (in person) at your local register office, before your marriage or civil partnership can legally go ahead - you'll need to book an appointment to do this; notice cannot be given or by post, telephone or email.

If you live in different registration districts you must 'give notice' in your own local office, and your notice period doesn't begin until both appointments are complete.

Your appointment to give notice

Contact York Register Office to make an appointment to 'give notice' of your marriage or civil partnership.

We're currently only taking notice for ceremonies which are taking place in the next 3 months from the date that you contact us.

You can book an appointment Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.00pm.

See the York Register Office marriage and civil partnership fees for appointment costs.

You'll be told which documents you must bring; notice can not be given if you do not bring the correct documents.

All documents:

  • must be certified or sealed
  • must be original; photocopies are not acceptable
  • must be in English or accompanied by a translation (including any stamps) that is signed with the translator's name and address

If you're under 18 years old, contact the Register Office in advance to ensure you can provide the correct documents.

Notice of marriage or civil partnership

Your 'notice' will be publicly displayed in your local register office for 28 days and includes:

  • details of who's getting married or forming a civil partnership
  • where and when you intend to get married or form your civil partnership

Your marriage or civil partnership must take place within 12 months of giving notice.

Separate legal procedures apply for religious ceremonies, marrying aboard, and for people subject to immigration control (if you're not an EEA citizen or Swiss citizen) - see GOV.UK/marriages-civil-partnerships for more information.

Marriage and civil partnership fees

Find out more about York Register Office marriage and civil partnership fees for giving notice of marriage or civil partnership, and ceremony costs.

If we need to check documents from overseas, or need to contact the General Register Office to confirm whether your marriage or civil partnership can go ahead, there may be additional costs.

Wedding venues in York

You can have a marriage or civil partnership ceremony at York Register Office, or choose another of our approved places to get married in York.

Pre-ceremony consultation service

Our pre-ceremony consultation service gives you the opportunity to discuss all aspects of your ceremony with one of our experienced Celebration Officers, who'll be able to answer any questions you have, and help to prepare you for your special day.

Contact York Register Office to book your 20 minute pre-ceremony consultation, subject to availability, Monday to Friday.

See pre-ceremony consultation fees.

Also see

York Register Office

56 Bootham, York, YO30 7DA

Telephone: 01904 654477