Births, deaths and marriages

Marriages and civil partnerships

Giving Notice

To get married or enter a civil partnership in England and Wales, each person must give legal notice of intention, to the registrar in the district (county) where you live.

Regardless of where you intend to hold your ceremony, you must both give 28 days' notice (in person) at your local register office, before your marriage or civil partnership can legally go ahead - you'll need to book an appointment to do this; notice cannot be given by post, telephone or email.

If you live in different registration districts you must 'give notice' in your own local office, and your notice period doesn't begin until both appointments are complete.

Legal notice of intention to marry or enter a civil partnership must be given at least 28 clear days, prior to the date of the marriage or civil partnership, and you will need to take specific documents with you to the appointment.

If you live in England or Wales but outside York you will need to contact your local registration office to make your appointment, as this must take place in the district where you live.

If you live outside England or Wales and you want to marry in York you must reside in England or Wales for 7 clear days before the date of the notice appointment. This does not include the date you arrive and the date of the notice. Both of you must be resident at the same time, for the 7 day period, before giving notice.

Please be aware that when you give your notice it is essential that the venue provided is correct so that the ceremony can go ahead. If you are having your ceremony at our office the venue is either:

  • York Register Office – which is a statutory ceremony with 2 witnesses only and will take place in a working office
  • or;
  • The Bootham Suite ceremony – which is for a smaller ceremony (up to 8 guests)
  • The Bootham Suite ceremony - which is for a larger ceremony (up to 50 guests)

Your venue of choice will be confirmed on your booking form, if you are not sure please email for clarification before you attend your notice appointment.

Your appointment to give notice

The earliest you can give notice is 12 months prior to your ceremony however we prioritise appointments by ceremony dates to ensure we can accommodate demand so you may be asked to contact us at a later date. Notices are valid for one year.

If you live in York contact York Register Office to make an appointment to 'give notice' of your marriage or civil partnership.

We're currently only taking notice for ceremonies which are taking place in the next 3 months from the date that you contact us.

You can book an appointment Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.00pm.

See the York Register Office marriage and civil partnership fees for appointment costs.

You'll be told which documents you must bring; notice can not be given if you do not bring the correct documents.

If your appointment to give notice cannot go ahead due to correct documents not being provided we may not be able to offer another appointment in time for your ceremony day, as you are required to give 28 clear days’ notice. As a result you may have to move your ceremony date.

Documents to bring to your appointment

All documents:

  • must be certified or sealed
  • must be original; photocopies are not acceptable
  • must be in English or accompanied by a translation (including any stamps) that is signed with the translator's name and address

If you're under 18 years old, contact the Register Office in advance to ensure you can provide the correct documents.

You will need to bring at least 2 documents to provide evidence of:

  • your name and surname, date of birth and nationality
  • your place of residence
  • if you had a previous marriage or civil partnership, a decree absolute, decree of nullity or dissolution order, or a death certificate together with a marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • a full translation of any foreign divorce or dissolution documents and the name and address of the translator (who cannot be your intended spouse)
  • an interpreter if one of you cannot speak English; this cannot be your partner, so it must be another person who can translate, for example a third party and the same person will also need to be a witness at the marriage or Civil Partnership Ceremony
  • many couples bring their passport and photo driving license to meet these requirements
  • any document which is in a foreign language must be accompanied by a complete English translation (there will be an additional fee payable for consideration of divorce or civil partnership dissolution documents obtained outside the British Isles)

To find out more about what documents you may need to provide, please see our giving notice document checklist.

Ceremonies at York Register Office

56 Bootham, York, YO30 7DA

Telephone: 01904 654477