Following consultation with local residents and businesses, our Executive Member for Transport and Planning is being asked to approve revised plans to update key junctions on Wigginton Road.
During the summer months, local people were invited to have their say on proposals for:
- rebuilding the junction between Wigginton Road, Haxby Road and Clarence Street
- replacing the existing mini-roundabout between Wigginton Road and Fountayne Street with a new junction
Map of Wigginton Road showing the Haxby Road and Clarence Street junction
Map of Wigginton Road showing the Fountayne Street junction
For further information see:
- map showing proposed improvements to the junction with Haxby Road and Clarence Street
- map showing proposed improvements to the junction with Fountayne Street
Wigginton Road improvements consultation outcomes
Feedback received during the consultation period suggested that, although there is general support for rebuilding the junction between Wigginton Road, Haxby Road and Clarence Street, residents and businesses would not support the removal of the Fountayne Street mini-roundabout.
Residents felt that removal of the roundabout would cause the traffic conditions that they experience there to worsen. However, they also expressed the view that the current arrangement is not working effectively.
Junction improvements on Wigginton Road
The planned improvements will help to:
- reduce journey times for traffic, particularly buses, on Wigginton Road
- improve pavements and crossings
- create larger pedestrian islands at the junction with Haxby Road and Clarence Street
- replace the traffic signals at the junction with Haxby Road and Clarence Street
The proposed improvements will not require the creation of a new bus lane.
The scheme is funded through York’s Better Bus Area, a programme of measures which improve the reliability of bus services in the city. It's estimated that it will cost around £200,000 to implement.
If the report is approved by the Executive Member, the work will be carried out during the first four months of 2019.
Improvements for pedestrians on Wigginton Road
The existing pedestrian island near the junction with Fountayne Street will remain in place.
The existing small islands will be replaced with larger traffic islands at the junction with Haxby Road and Clarence Street, making this easier for pedestrians to use.
Larger traffic islands will make it easier for people with impaired mobility to cross the road.
Improvements for cyclists on Wigginton Road
Existing cycle lanes will remain in place, so there is a continuation of cycle lanes, but advanced stop lines and a feeder lane will be created at the junction with Haxby Road and Clarence Street.
The signals controlling the 'cycle only' path onto Wigginton Road, at the south end of the hospital site, will remain in place.