To support fitness and wellbeing in the city, community groups are invited to apply for a share of £100,000 funding to contribute towards children’s play equipment and adults’ gym equipment in York’s open spaces.
You can apply for:
- up to £10,000 to refurbish an existing play area
- up to £30,00 to create a new play area
The Community Challenge fund aims to help create and refurbish play areas. This is to replace outdated equipment while stimulating and refreshing play ideas with new kit. The funding for adult outdoor gyms is for static equipment for minimal maintenance.
Community and ‘friends groups’, and parish councils or councillors can apply on behalf of their wards.
Applications must give an indication of cost, evidence of community consultation or engagement or plans outlined. A 15% contribution is required from other sources such as ward or parish funding, housing or resident associations.
We recommend you prepare any of the documents you need, before you start you application. Read our help uploading supporting documents to find out how to prepare yourself.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 28 February 2021.
Application criteria and guidance
The following criteria applies;
- applications can be made for replacement and or additional outdoor play equipment for public play areas within the City of York Council boundary
- the maximum which can be applied for is £10,000 for an existing site and £30,000 for a new site - a new site will have to demonstrate that land ownership is secure and that it is in an area of play deficit, view planning policy supporting documents, within the green infrastructure section
- a 15% contribution is required, this can be from a Ward, Parish, Town Council, grants, or from local fund raising
- the application should include details of what is proposed and an indication of the likely cost
- evidence of community consultation or engagement must be provided
- the scheme is open for applications for non-moving gym equipment - such applications will be subject to further checks on location suitability and health and fitness value
- the closing date for applications is Sunday 28 February 2021 (assessments will not take place until after this date)
- as part of the assessment process a site visit will take place
- only one successful application per site
You will be informed if you've been successful by the end of April 2021. If funds are not all allocated there may be a further round of applications
If you wish to discuss your ideas or scheme prior to submission please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.