The former Terry's factory is an 11 hectare site about a mile south of the city centre that includes around 25,000 square metres of listed factory buildings.
Planning approval has been given for a mix of uses including; office and other commercial, leisure, and a wide range of houses and apartments - this includes a significant element of affordable housing for both sale and rent.
- 2006 - we approved a development brief for the site and a revised brief in 2009
- a character appraisal was produced in order to properly consider the character of the conservation area in any development proposals
- 2009 - we worked with GHT Developments to submit a high quality master plan which was approved at the planning committee held in February 2010, subject to a 106 agreement between the landowner and the council - planning reference: 09/01606/OUTM
- March 2012 - demolition began on the site and GHT announced their intention to sell all or part of the site
- April 2013 - the whole site was bought by Henry Boot Development and David Wilson Homes. New homes are now being built on the northern half which will help to meet the city’s housing needs. Phase 1 planning reference: 13/03429/REMM; Phase 2 planning reference: 14/01716FULM
- June 2015 - an application was approved to convert the multi-storey factory building to a maximum of 173 residential apartments and a ground floor retail unit, with additional roof storey and balconies to southern elevation; public open space and car parking, planning reference: 15/00456/FULM and associated listed buildings consent, planning reference: 15/00457/LBC
- October 2015 - an application was approved to convert the former headquarters building to a care home with 82 care bedrooms and 8 care apartments with rooftop extension and car parking, planning reference: 15/01623/FULM and associated listed buildings consent, planning reference: 15/01624/LBC
- Henry Boot Developments Ltd have taken responsibility for the development of the commercial buildings on the south side of the site and are progressing options for reuse of the listed buildings with our officers
- view planning application documents& (using the planning references listed above)
Terry's community forum
A community forum was set up in 2009, comprising of representatives from local communities, including the school, church and the neighbouring racecourse. The forum discusses planning applications before they are submitted to us, and promotes the overall understanding of the development throughout the community.