Hungate is a 4.1 hectare site on the edge of the business and retail core of the city centre. The site has planning approval for a mix of high quality office, retail and residential uses and will be set within a framework of city squares and green spaces.
The first 2 phases (of a total of 6) have now been completed; phase 1 comprises 168 apartments and phase 2 of a further 195 apartments.
New offices for Hiscox Insurance were opened on the edge of the development in December 2015.
Timeline for the Hungate developments
- 2005 - outline planning permission was granted for a mixed-use scheme including offices, housing, shops, a new bridge over the River Foss and new community space
- the development brief for the site sets out the main planning and design principles that the development of the area should be based upon
- 2009 - the first phase of 168 apartments, including a new bridge over the River Foss, was completed and is now fully occupied
- the second phase of residential development (195 apartments) was started in 2014, has now been completed and is now occupied
- work has started on phase 3 (Block F), which is to accommodate 101 apartments, a community centre and multi storey car park; this phase of works is expected to be completed in Spring / Summer 2019
- the construction of Block G is due to start in January / February 2019 with Block D anticipated to commence on site in Spring 2020; and Block H anticipated to commence on site circa Spring 2022
- when fully complete, the Hungate development will provide nearly 1,000 new city centre apartments together with commercial and community space, as well as high quality public spaces and landscaping