Nestlé South is a 7.9 hectare site on the southern part of the Nestlé Rowntree factory complex, at Haxby Road.
The aim in redeveloping this site is:
- for a mix of commercial and residential uses
- to create a sustainable development
- to foster a strong sense of community and identity
In true Rowntree tradition, we hope the development will be referred to in future as an exemplar of its genre.
- in 2006 Nestlé announced that they were going to redevelop the southern part of their site in York, in order to raise enough capital to improve the main factory site and to commit to the city in the future
- December 2007 - the Nestlé Rowntree factory York conservation area was designated
- 2009 - a development brief and a conservation area character appraisal for the site were approved
- 2010 - a planning application was approved for the development of a mixed use scheme on the former Nestlé factory site, view the planning application 10/01955/OUTM and 10/01960/FULM
- the development team for Nestlé south are working to ensure that any new development provides the correct mix of housing, employment, leisure, shops and public open space to help meet the needs of York and is integrated with the surrounding communities
- a substantial amount of modelling for transport has been carried out in order to plan for the expected increase in traffic
- construction has not yet started on site, and CYC Officers are working with agents for Nestle in order to understand changing market conditions and site viability, and where revisions might be made without compromising the overall vision for the site
Other major developments in York