On 22 October 2020 the Chancellor announced a new grant scheme for businesses in areas where Tier 2 restrictions are currently in place.
Businesses will not need to be legally closed to be eligible and the grants will have retrospective effect for areas which have already been under enhanced restrictions and can be backdated to the date Tier 2 restrictions were applied.
We're awaiting guidance from the Government and we'll update this page with the full details along with an application form as soon as it becomes available.
Our Local Restrictions Business Support Grant will support businesses if they're required to close due to local restrictions imposed by government to manage coronavirus.
The government sets national criteria for funds to be paid - our local offering (scheme 1), including a discretionary element (scheme 2), uses those criteria; we'll only consider paying grants to businesses where all of the eligibility criteria are met, and no grants are available from scheme for periods of lockdown prior to 9 September 2020.
As with other COVID-19 business grants, local grants to closed businesses will be treated as taxable income.
Eligibility for a local restrictions support Grant
Our Local Restrictions Business Support Grant scheme only applies if our area has local restrictions put in place by the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care.
Your business may be eligible if it:
- was open as usual
- is in a 'local lockdown' area
- has been required to close because of local restrictions (resulting in the first full day of closure being on or after 9 September 2020)
- has been required to close for at least 2 weeks
- has been unable to provide its usual in-person customer service from business premises
Your business will not be eligible if:
- you're able to continue to operate during local restrictions because you don't depend on providing direct, in-person, services from your premises
- you've chosen to close, but have not been required to close as part of local restrictions
- it is subject to national closures
- you've reached the state aid limit
- local restrictions are implemented for less than 2 weeks, and your business is closed for less than 2 weeks
Local Restrictions Support Grant Scheme 1
Scheme 1 of the 'Local Restrictions Business Support Grant' provides grants for businesses who occupy properties which appear on the Local Rating List (the business rates list).
Payments are based on the rateable value (RV) of a business on the date local restrictions begin:
- RV less than £51,000 can apply for a payment of £1,000
- RV of £51,000 or above can apply for a £1,500
Payments are 'per qualifying lockdown period'.
Local Restrictions Support Grant Scheme 2
Scheme 2 of the 'Local Restrictions Business Support Grant' provides discretionary grants for businesses who do not appear on the Local Rating List (the business rates list).
Businesses which do not occupy a property could be eligible for a payment of £750, per qualifying lockdown period.