Independent Special Educational Needs support in York is provided jointly by York SENDIASS and Core Assets.

We can help:

  • families of young people up to the age of 25 years who are new to the Education Health Care Needs Assessment process
  • families and young people who are transferring from a Statement or Learning Disability Assessment to an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)

Independent supporters

Independent supporters are individuals who are trained and deployed by the private, voluntary and community sector or via York SENDIASS.

They provide advice and support for parents of children and young people with SEN, through the Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) processes and work alongside parents by offering a range of time-limited support such as liaison across different agencies and advice on personal budgets.

They are there to:

  • act as a named contact person throughout the EHCP assessment and planning process
  • focus on the main task of helping you to transfer a Statement of SEN or Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) to an EHC plan
  • help you to put together the one page profile for your child or young person
  • work with you if you are new to EHC referrals or if you had a LDA under the old system
  • liaise across a range of local services and help you to gather the information required for an EHC plan
  • provide you with information to help you understand personal budgets
  • signpost you to York SENDIASS when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter

Also see

Comment on this page