The government's Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSS Alternative Funding) and Alternative Fuel Payments (AFP) provide support with fuel bills to certain households, by providing money towards energy costs:
- EBSS AF provides help for those who do not have a domestic electricity meter and contract with an energy supplier
- AFP provides help for those who heat their homes using alternative energy sources (oil, coal, LPG or biomass)
Applications for these schemes are:
- via GOV.UK, not to the council
- open between 27 February and 31 May 2023
- available online (only)
Fuel bill support if you don't get it automatically
If you don't get help automatically, check your eligibility (who should apply and who cannot), what you need before you begin, and how your application will be dealt with, via GOV.UK; these details are available alongside both application processes:
The Department for Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) will check all applications, and ask us to check addresses in our area. If you’re eligible BEIS will update you on the progress of your application, by email or letter, and we'll send a payment (to your UK current account) within approximately 40 days.
Help applying for energy bill support schemes
For assistance applying for energy bill support if you don't get payments automatically, or to ask questions about your eligibility for the EBSS AF and AFP schemes, contact the appropriate government help centre, between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday:
- for help with EBSS Alternative Funding telephone: 0808 175 3287
- for help with AFP telephone: 0808 175 3943
If someone can't go online, or is unable to contact a help centre, local support agencies can complete the application on their behalf.