COVID-19: Benefits and financial advice

We understand you might suffer unprecedented financial hardship as a result of coronavirus; in this difficult time, there's support available immediately, for all who need it.

See information on:

Additionally, there are a range of advice and support services across the city, with more information available at:

Back to top

Self-isolation support payments

If your earnings are affected by self-isolating, when told to do so by NHS Test and Trace, you may be entitled to some financial support; a self-isolation support payment of £500.

Back to top

York Financial Assistance Scheme

The York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides help to York residents in financial difficulties due to exceptional circumstances. Additional funding has been made available to help people affected by COVID-19.

Two types of assistance are offered:

  • Emergency Assistance for a disaster or crisis
  • Community Assistance to help with exceptional pressures or financial difficulties

If you apply to YFAS because you're affected by coronavirus it will be treated as Emergency Assistance, and our usual annual income rules will not apply - instead YFAS will consider your individual financial circumstances.


Emergency Assistance supermarket vouchers are available to people who don't have any money for food and other household essentials when they make their application.

Vouchers are provided by email to be used in a specific supermarket: Tesco, Asda or Morrison’s. Vouchers cannot be used for home delivery. If you're not able to go to the supermarket to collect your shopping, and no one can go on your behalf, contact York's COVID-19 Helpline, email: or telephone: 01904 551550, to arrange support.

Children eligible for free school meals are also being provided vouchers by their school. These are ongoing. Parents who have not received these should contact their children’s school.

Energy bills

Any energy customer in financial distress will be supported by their supplier, which could include debt repayments and bill payments being reassessed, reduced or paused where necessary, while disconnection of credit meters will be completely suspended.

If you're unable to top up your pre-payment meter contact your supplier immediately, to discuss how you keep your energy supplies working.

If you have other heating costs, such as oil, and need assistance please apply giving as much detail as possible. These will be considered on the basis of need.

Community Assistance

This part of the scheme provides help with basic necessities.

Applications can be considered for essential appliances where people do not have a working Cooker, fridge, freezer or washing machine.

Other items will be considered on the basis of need.

Make a YFAS application

To help us deal with your application as quick as possible, tell us about your change of circumstance, the help you need, and why. You'll also need to tell us about your income and savings.

If you can, please send a copy of your current bank statements to show your income and any savings with your application. You can send us these by either:

  • uploading them as part of your online application (PDF, JPG or GIF)
  • emailing them to separately with your name, address and application reference

If you're unable to upload or email the files, explain in your application form why you've been unable to do so; we'll contact you about your claim.

Complete an online YFAS form

If you're not able to apply online and no-one can do this on your behalf, contact York's COVID-19 Helpline to arrange support, telephone: 01904 551550.

Back to top

Housing costs

If you're struggling to pay your rent and aren't already receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, you should apply for Universal Credit for support with housing cost

If you're in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs, you can also apply for extra help with your rent by claiming Discretionary Housing Payments.

If you are struggling to pay your mortgage you may be able to get help with mortgages through Universal Credit or other benefits.

Back to top

Employee guidance

Many employees will be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if they fall ill. Recent changes have been made to make this payable from the first day of illness.

The government has advised people who aren't entitled to SSP, including those who are self-employed, to claim Universal Credit (UC) or contributory ‘New Style’ Employment Support Allowance (ESA).

Depending on your circumstances you may be able to claim other means tested benefits. Use an independent benefits calculator to find out what you can claim.

Back to top

Help if you're self-employed

See government advice for self-employed people who are struggling due to coronavirus.

Additional support is available:

  • if you have to take time off work and you don't get paid while you're off, you might be entitled to claim benefits - if you're already claiming benefits, you might get more money
  • if you already get benefits like Tax Credits or Housing Benefit, tell the office paying you that you can't work because you're sick - you might be entitled to more money while you're off work

If you are already receiving benefits:

Back to top

Financial advice

The Money Helper website has up to date information and guidance:

ACAS have up to date advice for employers and employees.

Back to top

Council Tax Support

If you are struggling to pay your council tax:

Working aged people who claim Council Tax Support will receive an additional award of up to £75 towards their total bill for 2021/22. This will reduce their monthly repayments.

Those who receive Council Tax Support will automatically be awarded the additional amount.

Anyone making a new claim for Council Tax Support will have the amount added once their claim has been assessed.

Back to top

Also see

Benefits and Contributions Advisors

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 552044