The City Walls
Over a million people a year take a walk through 1900 years of history on York's city walls. Built in Roman times, they've been added to and rebuilt over time and now have parts from across the centuries. Originally built as defences, the focus is now on conservation.
If you would like to know more about the City Walls History, please download the History of the city walls (pdf 326KB).
Open every day from 8am to dusk except when there is a risk of ice resulting in slippery conditions.
Closed on Christmas day.
These are the times when the closing process starts beginning at Fishergate Postern travelling anti-clockwise. This takes takes about one hour.
- January - 3.30pm
- February - 4.30pm
- March (upto the clocks changing) - 5.30pm
- March (after clocks changed) and April - 7.30pm
- May - 8pm
- June to July - 9pm
- August - 8pm
- September (start to mid) - 7pm
- September (mid to end) - 6pm
- October (upto the clocks changing) - 5pm
- October (after clocks changed), November and December - 3.30pm
Please note that the only dogs allowed on the city walls are guide dogs for the blind or hearing dogs for deaf people.