We promote a range of walks within the area from short circular walks to longer distances such as the Millennium Way.
- City of York Country Walks (North) - £2.95. Ten walks around the north of the city including Wigginton, Huntington and Osbaldwick. The walks vary from 2.5 to 6.5 miles in length.
- City of York Country Walks (South) - £2.95. Ten walks in the southern part of the city of York. The walks vary from 4 to 8 miles in length.
- Walking in the Countryside around York - £2.95. Twelve circular walks in the countryside around York. The walks vary from 3 to 9 miles in length. This publication also includes the Jorvic Way, a 65 mile walk around the York area.
- Millennium Way Walk - £2.95. A 23 mile walk linking the Historic Open Strays of York.
The order form for these can be downloaded from the downloads section on the right hand side of this page. Complete the form and post with cheque payable to the City of York Council.
Walks in York
We have put together 15 walks in and around York for you to enjoy. They range from 1.5 to 6.5 miles in distance and all are accessible by public transport. All walks have a map and written directions and include particular points of interest appearing on the route.
Walking is a great form of exercise which you can enjoy on your own or with family and friends at times to suit you. It's also a pleasurable way to discover more of York and its surroundings.
You can download details of any of these walks for free from the downloads section on the right-hand side of this page.
- Askham Richard
- Fulford and Heslington
- Nether Poppleton
- New Earswick
Pages in Public rights of way
- Public rights of way
- You are here: Countryside walks
- Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000
- Maintaining York's paths
- Obstructions to PROW
- Paths for Communities
- Public local inquiry for Clifton footpath
- Report a public rights of way problem
- The Definitive Map and Statement