York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS)
If you are awaiting an award of benefit from the DWP and there is a delay and you have no money you can apply for a short term benefit advance. To do this you need to contact DWP on 0845 608 8637 and select the option for the benefit you are waiting for.
If you find yourself in financial hardship, please do not hesitate to download the Money Problems leaflet as it provides information and advice on how to get back on track with your finances and who to go to in these circumstances.
The York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides one support package solution for residents in financial difficulty. It replaces Community Care Grants (CCG) and Crisis Loans that were provided by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) until 31 March 2013.
New locally-based assistance will be implemented by local authorities from 1 April 2013. From this date Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans will be withdrawn by the DWP.
A phased approach is being taken to support the changing needs of the local community. The first year will allow a standard scheme to be established in order to meet needs from 1 April 2013.
During that year the council, with its partners such as the new Credit Union and Citizens Advice Bureau will identify the best way to use the funds available in line with the ambitions set in the Council’s Financial Inclusion Strategy. An enhanced and tailored solution for York residents will be developed for implementation in 2014/15.
In the interim, as part of the first phase of the scheme, there will be two distinct types of YFAS assistance:
- YFAS Emergency Assistance – this is to help with a disaster or crisis; and
- YFAS Community Assistance – this is to help with a return to the community or to help customers to remain in the community. This can also help ease exceptional financial pressure on families, for example providing help to attend a funeral or with visiting a relative who is ill.
Financial assistance will be targeted at those most in need and will assist in allowing residents to continue to live in our communities.
How to apply for support
To apply for support from the York Financial Assistance Scheme either:
- apply online: Apply for support from the YFAS online
- telephone: 0808 168 5238 (free from a landline) or
- download, complete and return a YFAS application form (PDF) to us.
For further detailed information download the YFAS - Community Emergency criteria PDF document.