York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS)
The York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides help for residents in financial difficulty to continue to live in our communities.
To get financial support you can:
- apply online for support from the YFAS
- telephone: 0808 168 5238 (free from a landline)
- download the YFAS application form
There are two types of assistance available, targeted at those most in need:
- Emergency Assistance to help with a disaster or crisis
- Community Assistance to help with a return to/to remain in the community
Community Assistance can also help ease 'exceptional financial pressure' on families, for example providing help to attend a funeral or with visiting a relative who is ill.
Download the YFAS criteria for more information.
Further information is also available on our YFAS factsheet.
If you're awaiting an award of benefit from theDepartment for Work and Pensions (DWP) and there is a delay and you have no money, you can apply for a short term benefit advance. Contact DWP on tel: 0845 608 8637 and select the option for the benefit you are waiting for.
Download our Money Problems leaflet for information and advice on how to get back on track with your finances and who to go to in times of financial hardship.