City of York Council
Council tax

Council Tax Discretionary Reduction Scheme

Extra help with paying your Council Tax

The Council Tax Discretionary Reduction Scheme provides assistance to people who are unable to pay their Council Tax bill.

Awards are made on the basis of hardship with each application considered on its individual merits and will be based on your Council Tax bill after any discounts, exemptions, reductions for disabilities or support have been deducted. Awards cannot be made to cover court costs, recovery costs or penalty charges. For example, you may be having problems because you are receiving benefits and your Council Tax Support does not cover all of your Council Tax bill or you could have lost your job and have no savings.

Apply for a Discretionary Council Tax reduction

You need to complete the Council Tax Discretionary Reduction claim form. The application must be made by the bill payer or the person liable to pay the council tax (or their nominee). You must provide us with information that we request to make an informed decision, including:

  • Why you are unable to pay you Council Tax bill
  • Household income and expenditure
  • Savings and investments
  • If you have received debt or benefits advice

We may ask for additional information and/or evidence if it is deemed necessary.

If you need help filling in the application forms. You can make an appointment with our benefit advisers on 01904 552233 or you may want to go to an agency such as Citizens Advice Bureau or Christians Against Poverty.

For information on where to get debt and/or benefits advice visit or pick up A Guide to Advice Services in York at Council offices, York Explore, libraries and community centres.

Pages in Council tax discount

  1. Council tax discounts and exemptions
  2. Exempt properties
  3. People with disabilities
  4. Second homes
  5. Single occupancy discount
  6. Student discount and exemptions
  7. You are here: Council Tax Discretionary Reduction Scheme
  8. Council Tax Discretionary Reduction Scheme award decision

Local Taxation Section (Council Tax)


Telephone: 01904 551558

Fax: 01904 551190

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Rate this page