City of York Council

How to pay your rent if you are a council tenant

Paying your rent

We charge rent weekly. You can choose to pay weekly, fortnightly, four weekly or monthly but must always pay in advance.

Your rent will increase in April each year.

If you have an introductory or secure tenancy you will usually pay over 48 weeks with 4 rent free weeks each year, totalling 52 weeks.

The rent free weeks in 2014/15 are 15 and 22 December 2014 and 23 and 30 March 2015. 

If you have rent arrears or a court order you need to continue to pay during these rent free weeks. 

How can I pay my rent?

You can pay your rent in a number of ways and you can see these below.

You can also download the How To Pay Your Rent factsheet here.

Setting up a direct debit  Direct Debit

Direct debit is the easiest way to pay. We can help you set one up from a current bank account or building society.

If you haven’t got a bank account, we can help you open one.

You can choose to make a payment from one of these four dates: 1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd of each month.

We’ll let you know in writing when your direct debit will start and when there are any changes to payments.

We’ll also let your bank know when your rent goes up each April.

To set up a direct debit download and complete the direct debit form and return it to us.

Online Do It Online

You can pay online by going to the Do It Online web page and follow the instructions.

By phone phone button blue

You can call our automated phoneline 01904 551557 to pay with your debit card.

Or you can speak in person to our customer services team on 01904 551550, selecting option 4 and then option 2.

There is a 2% charge if you pay by credit card.

Remember you need your payment reference number.

By smartphone mobile icon l blue

Download the free allpay app to pay your rent.

Allpay swipe card

You can use your allpay card to pay by cash, debit card or cheque at any Post Office, shop or garage showing the paypoint sign.

Simply present your allpay card and payment and you will be given a receipt which you should keep in a safe place as proof of payment.

Lost card

If you lose your card you can order a replacement free of charge by contacting Housing Services

At the bank

You can set up a standing order from your bank account but you will need to remember to change it every April when your rent increases or if your payments change. You can download a standing order form here.

At HSBC you can pay cash into the Council’s general account:-

  • Account number 70897558
  • Sort code 40-47-31.

Remember to take your payment reference number.

By post

Never send cash through the post.

Make cheques payable to ‘City of York Council’ and add your rent payment reference number on the back of your cheque.

Post payments to: Financial Transactions Office, West Offices, Station Rise, York YO1 6GA.


Pages in Council Housing rents

  1. Council Housing rents
  2. You are here: How to pay your rent if you are a council tenant
  3. Rent setting

Housing Services

Telephone: 01904 551550 Option 4 followed by Option 2

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

City of York Council Online Payments

Pay council tax, business rates, rent and other invoices online

City of York Council Online Payments

Rate this page
" //Track outbounds