City of York Council
Planning and building control

Planning applications

When to apply: a guide for householders

As long as you meet certain requirements, and stay within specific restrictions, you can carry out external alterations and some extensions to private houses (not flats) without needing formal planning permission.

When you don't need to apply

Unless the property is a listed building, you don't need planning permission if you are:

  • carrying out works to the interior of your home - for example, putting in new kitchen units, or removing a wall
  • painting the outside of your home
  • repairing the outside of your home
  • planting trees and shrubs in your garden.

When you need to apply

You may need planning permission if you are:

  • extending your home by constructing an extension or a dormer window
  • putting up a garage
  • putting up a boundary fence or wall
  • extending your garden onto adjacent land
  • putting up outbuildings or garden structures, such as a summer house, shed or swimming pool
  • having a wind turbine installed. 

Some developments need special consents as well as, or instead of, planning permission:

To find out whether applications are required under the Town and Country Planning Acts, you can submit a Householder Enquiry Form

Building Regulations and other types of permission

You will probably need Building Regulations approval for most works or changes of use that you carry out to a building.

It is useful to have written confirmation that your proposal doesn't need any of these consents, especially when it comes to selling your property. This confirmation shows any prospective purchaser that you haven't carried out any unauthorised work. Find out more about building control.



Telephone: 01904 551553

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

The Planning Inspectorate

The Planning Inspectorate deals with planning appeals, national infrastructure planning applications & examinations of local plans

The Planning Inspectorate website

Planning Portal

The Planning Portal is the UK Government's online planning and building regulations resource for England and Wales.

Planning Portal website

Appeal Online

From this page you can submit a new appeal, search for an existing one and comment on it.

Planning Portal - Make an Appeal

Visual Guide for Householders

An informal guide to planning permission and building regulations for householders on the Planning Portal


Planning Portal - Planning Applications

From this page you can make an application for a range of consents, learn how to apply and find out about the process.

Planning Portal - Planning Applications

View planning applications online

Search for Planning Applications and Appeals online

View planning applications online

Rate this page
" //Track outbounds