City of York Council
Recycling, rubbish and waste

DIY waste - brick & rubble

Brick and Rubble

Please read this information carefully if you intend to bring any brick or rubble waste to the Household Waste Recycling Centres.

Brick and rubble is classed as industrial waste and there is no legal obligation for us to provide any facility for the disposal of this sort of material at Household Waste Recycling Centres.

It is recognised that households occasionally produce brick and rubble waste from DIY home improvement and maintenance projects so a skip is provided onsite at Hazel Court Household Waste Recycling Centre

DIY brick & rubble waste can only be brought to Hazel Court HWRC and there will be a small charge for the disposal.

These charges s are necessary to control the costs passed to general council tax payers for dealing with waste generated from DIY projects that might add value to some householders’ property.

How much brick and rubble waste can I take to the site?

The quantity restriction applies whatever vehicle, or trailer, is being used to transport the material.  This restriction therefore also applies to householders using permits at the HWRC'S

  • Normal family car can bring up to 250kg at a time for a charge of £11 per visit. There is no restriction on how many times a month you can visit.
  • Van or trailers can bring up to 500kg per visit at a charge of £21 per visit. There is no restriction on how many times you visit other than the visit limits imposed by permits for vans and trailers ( 12 per year)

    How will this be monitored?

    Site staff will be monitoring the amount of brick and rubble being brought to the household waste recycling centres and they have the authority to refuse to accept unreasonable size loads.

    How do I pay? 

    Payment must be made onsite at the time of tipping via credit or debit card. Cash is not accepted

    What should I do if I have a large amount of brick rubble?

    Alternative options for residents wanting to dispose of large amounts of brick and rubble waste, or for residents without transport:

    • Hire a skip.
    • Use a private waste collection company.
    • Buy a skip bag from DIY stores, builders’ merchants or garden centres to fill with your DIY waste.  Collection of the bag is charged depending on the size of the bag.  Local York stores such as Wickes, B&Q offer this service through a company called Hippobag.

    York Customer Centre (environmental services)


    Telephone: 01904 551551

    West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

    Rate this page