City of York Council online payments
Click on the above link to go direct to the online payments site.
What can I pay online?
You can pay the following online:
- Council tax
- Business rates (NNDR)
- Debtors invoices
- Housing benefit overpayment
Debtors invoices are payments where invoices have been sent out for goods or services provided by the council. Examples of debtors invoices are:
- Home care charges
- Shop rentals
- Small lottery fees
- Allotment rental
- Housing repairs
- Residential care
- Pest control
- Leisure bookings
- Trade refuse
- Building regulation fees
- Service charges
- Warden call charges
- Bulky household collections
What cards can I use to pay online?
The following card types are accepted by our online payments service:
- Delta (VISA Debit)
American Express and Diners cards are not accepted. There is also a 2% charge for all Credit Card payments.
If you have trouble making a payment online
If you experience any difficulties using the service tel: (01904) 551146, during office hours (8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday).
The online payments service is available seven days a week. It is available all day except between 5.30pm and 5.45pm. This is to allow for essential maintenance to take place.
What you need to make a payment
Before you make a payment you need the following information:
- The payment you want to make (this is referred to as a fund)
- Your reference number
- What card type you will be using
- What your card number is (this is the long number across the middle of your card)
Payment numbers vary depending on what you are paying:
- For council tax and NNDR enter the ten digit council tax reference as stated on your bill
- For rents enter the nine or ten digit reference as stated on your rent card
- For debtors enter your 10 digit invoice number
- For housing benefit overpayment enter your 10 digit reference
A receipt can be sent to you by email after making a payment. Please make sure to fill in the email address box on the payment form in order to receive a receipt.
When will your payment show on the council's records?
Payments received up until 5:30pm on any working day will normally show on the council's records on the following working day.
Payments received after this, overnight, at weekends and on a bank holiday will show on the council's records the day after the next working day.
Is this service safe?
Our online payments service uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology so that data sent over the internet is encrypted.
You can check that a web page is secure by looking for the "https" prefix in the web page address and the "lock icon" in the status bar of your browser.
Pages in Payments
- Paying Your Bill
- Council Tax eBilling
- Debit / Credit Card payments
- Direct Debit
- Bank or Post Office Giro Credit
- You are here: City of York Council online payments
- Cheque or postal order
- Standing order