Paying your bill
For council tax and any other billed items you can pay online.
Other ways to pay your council tax:
- Direct Debit - Council tax can be paid by Direct Debit. To set up a direct debit please call (01904) 551558 for council tax.
- Pingit - If you wish to pay your Council Tax bill using Pingit simple instructions are available on the attached guide. Please note that currently, Pingit can only be used to make payments to Council Tax bills.
- At any PayPoint - Any billed items, including council tax and business rates can be paid by a Debit Card, cheque or cash at any Post Office, or by cash at any shop or garage, displaying the PayPoint symbol, making it more convenient for you to pay your bills.
- Over the phone - You can also pay for your council tax and business rates using your Debit Card or Credit Card by calling the Customer Centre direct on (01904) 551558.
- Over the phone - You can also call our Automated Payment Line on (01904) 551557 and pay by Debit or Credit Card. This line is available 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. You will need your council tax / business rates payment reference number.
Please note that all Credit Card transactions incur a 2% surcharge and we can only accept VISA and Mastercard.
We also are not able to take cash or cheques to pay council tax, over the counter at our Customer Centre, West Offices, Station Rise
Instalment plans available:
Domestic council tax can be set up in the following instalment plans:
Most bills that are set to ten instalments, so if you wish to change it, please contact the council tax department on 01904 551558 as soon as possible.
National Non Domestic Rates or business rates
Business Rates can be set up in the following instalment plans:
If you wish to discuss or change how you are paying your business rates, please contact the business rates department on (01904) 551140 as soon as possible.
Pages in Payments
- You are here: Paying your bill
- Council Tax eBilling
- Debit/credit card payments
- Direct Debit
- Bank or Post Office Giro Credit
- City of York Council online payments
- Cheque or postal order
- Standing order