Paying Your Bill
You can pay your council tax by:
- Direct Debit - Council tax can be paid by Direct Debit. To set up a direct debit please call (01904) 551558 for council tax.
- Pingit - If you wish to pay your bill using Pingit simple instructions are available on the attached guide.
- At any PayPoint - Any billed items, including council tax and business rates can be paid by a Debit Card, cheque or cash at any Post Office, or by cash at any shop or garage, displaying the PayPoint symbol, making it more convenient for you to pay your bills.
- Over the phone - You can also pay for your council tax and business rates using your Debit Card or Credit Card by calling the Customer Centre direct on (01904) 551558.
- Over the phone - You can also call our Automated Payment Line on (01904) 551557 and pay by Debit or Credit Card. This line is available 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. You will need your council tax / business rates payment reference number.
- Online - For council tax and any other billed items you can also pay online.
Please note that all Credit Card transactions incur a 2% surcharge and we can only accept VISA and Mastercard.
We do not take cash or cheques over the counter at our Customer Centre, West Offices, Station Rise.
Instalment plans available:
Council Tax - You can choose to pay your council tax by:
Most bills that are set to ten instalments, so if you wish to change it, please contact the council tax department on (01904) 551558 as soon as possible.
Business Rates - You can choose to pay your business rates by:
If you wish to discuss or change how you are paying your business rates, please contact the business rates department on (01904) 551140 as soon as possible.
Pages in Payments
- You are here: Paying Your Bill
- Council Tax eBilling
- Debit / Credit Card payments
- Direct Debit
- Bank or Post Office Giro Credit
- City of York Council online payments
- Cheque or postal order
- Standing order