City of York Council
Rate this page


Take a look at our latest Tenants and Leaseholders Annual Report which shows how we did in 2013/14 and our plans for 2014/15.  

 Welfare Reform

Significant changes are being made to the benefits and tax credits system in 2013 because of the Welfare Reform Act 2012.

If you are a council tenant and have one or more extra bedrooms than the government say you need your housing benefit may be reduced and you will be liable to pay the shortfall between the benefit you receive and the rent due.

If you are having difficulty paying this rent you should contact your housing estate manager immediately or contact the housing money and employment advisors on (01904) 554504. 

Follow the links below for more details about these welfare benefit changes and to see if these changes could affect you:

Applying for propertyApplying for a property

How to register for a council property, and what happens to your application

HousingCouncil housing

Advice and information for current tenants including repairs, paying your rent, anti social behaviour, and tenancy issues

Information for landlordsInformation for landlords

Information for landlords including the licensing of houses in multiple occupation, landlord grants and the landlord's code of best practice


Advice and information on preventing homelessness, and how we can help if you lose your home

Get this feed City of York Council Housing feed

" //Track outbounds