Youth Offending Team
York Youth Offending Team (YOT) is an organisation within the criminal justice system and is made up of representatives from the Police, Probation, Children's Services, Young People's Services, Health, Education, Substance Misuse Services and Housing providers. We work with young people between the ages of 10 and 17 who are involved in offending behaviour.
The team is made up of professionals from all of the above agencies so that we have the skills and abilities to respond to any risks or needs in the lives of young people and provide a multi-agency service to young people and their families in York.
In addition to staff from the agencies listed above we work closely with our local crime and disorder reduction partnership which is the Safer York Partnership.
What do York YOT do?
- Supervise young people to encourage them to change their outlook and behaviour.
- Work with young people and partnership agencies to help prevent them offending.
- Ensure that the voice of victims is heard.
- Work with families and the community to help promote positive changes in young people.
- Protect the public through rigorous enforcement of sentences imposed by the courts.